4 large boneless skinless chicken thighs
3 tablespoons chilli powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 ripe avocados
dash kosher salt
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 small smashed tomato
1 cup medium heat Buffalo sauce like Franks Red Hot Sauce
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons butter
dash of salt and pepper
1. In a large mixing bowl combine the chicken rub ingredients. Season chicken thighs with rub and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes to 4 hours.
2. Prepare Guacamole – Cut and peel avocado. Mash the avocado with a fork to your desired chunkiness. Stir in the remainder of your ingredients. Cover and chill in the fridge until ready to add to burgers; or sample with a few tortilla chips and beer! Optional step, this is a great place to kick up the heat with a little lime based hot sauce.
3. Prepare your Buffalo BBQ Sauce by combining the ingredients in a small saucepan and stir over low heat.
4. Pre-heat your grill. Once your grill is as hot as you can get it. Reduce an area for indirect grilling and place your chicken over the low heat area. Flip your chicken when it releases from the grill, not before otherwise it will tear, flip and cook till an internal temperature of 165F. At this point, you may top your chicken with the cheese or my favourite is to melt a few mini-cheese wheels in a small cast iron pan and pour the molten gooey-ness over your chicken when preparing the burger.
5. Once your chicken is flipped and getting close it’s time to prepare your buns. Butter and lightly toast on the warming rack of your grill. I always like a little garlic spice mix sprinkled on the butter.
6. Putting it all together – On the bottom bun spoon on a generous portion of guacamole. Top the guacamole with your chicken, pour over a reasonable portion of the buffalo bbq sauce, and enjoy!