1 pork shoulder
3 tablespoons oregano
3 tablespoons parsley
2 tablespoons onion salt
2 tablespoons pepper
1 tablespoon cumin
2 cups pineapple juice – for injecting
FOR THE PICKLES
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup salt
1 cup vinegar
FOR THE SANDWICH
2 French loaves
FOR THE SMOKE
Broil King® Smoke Master’s blend pellets
- Set your smoker to smoke at 225°F (107°C). Mix the rub ingredients together and rub the exterior of the pork shoulder thoroughly. If it’s a bone out shoulder rub the inside as well. Inject the pineapple juice into the pork shoulder in several different locations. Plunge the marinade injector deep into the meat and slowly retract it as you inject, use the diffuser tip for best results.
- Slice the cucumber into thin circles, place them in a bowl and toss with the salt. Let sweat for 2 hours in the salt then remove liquid and add the white sugar and vinegar and let stand until the pork is ready to serve.
- Set the pork shoulder on your pellet grill and smoke until the internal temperature reaches 203°F (95°C) then remove and let stand to cool. Cooking could take up to 12 hours which is best done overnight on your pellet grill.
- Increase your grill temperature to 375°F (190°C). Once your pork shoulder is cooled slice it thin or shred it and lay it out on one half of a French loaf split top from bottom. Lay out the pickles on the pork then top with lots of Swiss cheese then mayonnaise. Spread mustard onto the top portion of the loaf and set it on top of the sandwich.
- Place the sandwich on the grill then remove one of the cooking grids and place it peak side down on top of the sandwich and press with a set of grilling mitts. This will add the sear mark and press the sandwich. Close the lid and let toast. To achieve diamond shaped sear marks place the sandwich in the two o’clock position and then in the ten o’clock position while pressing.
- Remove and serve