1 lb large shrimp, butterfly and deveined (keep shell on or not)
3 small uncooked lobster tails (halved)
1 lb mussels, scrubbed & de-bearded
1 1/2 pounds cleaned squid (about 3 pounds whole) tentacles separated from the bodies, rinsed and patted dry (you can also add Scallops, Clams and a small filet of grilled Salmon)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 red hot Serrano chili pepper
1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
6 ripe tomatoes, (Roma if possible or can of diced)
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 onion (preferably Vidalia or Spanish)
1/4 bunch fresh basil, finely chopped
1/4 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- To make the Arrabbiata Sauce (on the side burner): Place tomatoes and 1/2 onion on cooking grids to soften and imprint grill marks. Let cool slightly, then dice. Heat some olive oil in a skillet over MEDIUM heat on the side burner. Add grilled diced onions, and 2/3 of garlic. Sauté briefly, then add the mussels. Add white wine and bring to a boil. Keep covered until mussels open. Discard any mussels which failed to open. Add diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, basil and parsley. Add chilies, and 1/2 diced Serrano pepper cover and simmer sauce for 2- 3 minutes, then turn off burner. Add the chopped basil and butter at this time.
- Note: The earlier the spice heat is added, the spicier the sauce becomes.
- Marinade: To prepare marinade, in a bowl , combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, lemon juice, remaining garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Rinse lobsters and pat dry. Split lengthwise through back shell and lobster meat – half the tails completely. Run a skewer through the length of the tail if you want to prevent curling (or not). Brush marinade onto the lobster meat with basting brush.
- Cut the squid bodies along the sides to open flat. With a thin sharp knife, lightly score the insides, being careful not to cut through all the way.
- Add the shrimp (shells on) and the squid bodies and tentacles into the marinade, toss to coat, and marinate for 30-45 minutes, refrigerated, turning twice.
- Preheat grill on HIGH, then reduce heat to MEDIUM – HIGH.
1. With the lid open, place lobster tails on grill, meat side down, for 1 minute. Turn tails shell side down for 8-10 minutes or until the shell is red and the meat is white.
2. Grill the shrimp 2-3 minutes per side. Shrimp are done when just pink and opaque. Do not overcook.
3. Grill the squid, turning until opaque, slightly golden, and just cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the squid to a cutting board and slice into strips and slice the tentacles, if desired. You can leave them whole.
- Presentation: Arrange cooked mussels in large serving bowl, then lobster tails and shrimp and calamari. Pour warmed Arrabbiata sauce over seafood and garnish with chopped fresh parsley. Serve with grilled Italian bread or Focaccia, for dipping of course!
- This dish can be served as an appetizer or main dish. Serves 6 (3 as a main course) Double the portion for a main serving